Sunday, May 30, 2010

Catch 22

Week 21 began with the last of the holidays in May: Pentecost Monday. On Thursday the church staff (ministers, musicians, and religious education teachers) went by boat to Herøy, an island about 45 minutes west. The purpose of the meeting was to plan next year’s activities for the confirmation class of 2011. After the meeting I rushed back to play a funeral. (On average there is about 1 per week). I still haven’t heard anything from Folkeregister about getting an ID number. I am probably caught in some sort of Catch-22 situation. Folkeregister won’t give me an ID number until I’ve received a residence permit. A bank won’t open an account for me until I’ve received an ID number. And I can’t get paid until I get an ID number and bank account number. The residence permit takes time – up to 8 weeks. This is week 7. I’ve been to the police office to inquire about how long I will have to wait. No answers yet. In Norway’s bureaucratic jumble I am being shuttled from one office to another, only to be told that they aren’t responsible. And then back. It’s frustrating. Is this the Peter principle in action, or passing the buck? I’m sure there are plenty of examples in the U.S.

On to a more cheerful subject: on Saturday I had a rehearsal with the Helgelands Chamber Choir (Kammerkor). They are preparing a program for a concert in June at Alstahaug Church as part of the Petter Dass celebration week. (Petter Dass was a famous poet/clergyman who lived here 1647-1707). I am the accompanist for this concert. The concert will be conducted by Christopher Eva, a British musician, who has lived in this part of Norway for 15 years. The program is very interesting: quite a few pieces by Norwegian composers, a cantata by Buxtehude and two pieces by Purcell – the large “Rejoice in the Lord always”, and the short “Thou knowest, Lord, the secrets of our hearts”. The concert will be on June 20.

Sunday morning services were in Sandnessjøen. (Today is Trinity Sunday). There were about 50-60 in the congregation. Pretty much all the leaves are out now. People are mowing their lawns. Everything is green -- quite a difference from 3 weeks ago.

Today sunrise is at 2:30 am; sunset at 11:45 pm. Length of day: 21 hours, 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment