Sunday, May 2, 2010

First Weekend

My landlords: Trond and Ann-Kristin are a very nice couple. For each it is a second marriage. They have one child together: Nikolai – a very cute boy of about 5 years old. Trond lent me some dvd’s. I watched “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Girl who Played with Fire”, crime stories by the late Swedish author Stieg Larsson. Saturday afternoon I went for a long walk and got some great pictures of the surrounding areas.

Sunday: My first official day as organist for the services. I awoke to snow: not much but enough accumulation to be visible. Both confirmation services went well. The church was packed. There were 340 at the 11 am service and 360 at the 1 pm service, with 23 confirmands at the earlier service and 22 at the later. Bjørnar Oybekk, the head minister for the parish, was pleased that everything went well. I met John, one of the employees at church who helps out on Sundays. I couldn’t understand much of what he said, even though it was Norwegian. He spoke very quickly and in dialect. I tried to get him to speak slowly but it didn’t help much.

Daylight increases by about 6 minutes a day. Sunrise is at 4:24 am, sunset at 9:50 pm. It is completely dark only 2 hours now. So far I’ve had no problems sleeping.

2 comments:

  1. Andy, what a surprise! "An adventure" is right! I'm proud and honored to be one of your first followers -- how could I have missed that your folk came from Norway, or that you could speak it??? Another "DOH!" moment, I suppose.... You know, Mark has been invited to audition for the Norwegian Radio Orchestra, and a dear friend of ours is one of the co-concertmasters of the Oslo Opera orchestra -- at a time when we're aging out of the ability to audition anywhere, it's a serious thought for us lately. Who knows, you might have neighbors ... at least, neighbors closer than Boston!
    We're going to be following with interest -- good luck in on this new adventure! XOXO S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow? My deepest sympathies! But just think, this way you get to experience TWO springs, not just one!

    ReplyDelete