Monday, January 31, 2011

End of January

This week I joined «Storband», a band that performs popular music. The first rehearsal that I attended was on Wednesday evening. It went OK, but I have to practice, especially rhythmic music that I'm not used to. There is a concert on 21 May. The past weekend was quite social: a dinner party on Friday evening at Magnar's house for Katrin and Elizabeth. On Saturday Magnar and I were invited to a party at Hans and Inge's house. Sunday I had two services: one at 11 in Sandnessjøen and one at 6:30 pm at Blomsø Bedehus (prayer house on Blomsø). Attendance was pretty good in Sandnessjøen: about 60. At Blomsø there were only 5 or 6. The weather is fairly mild. The snow and ice are slowly melting, although it snows once in a while.

The days are getting longer: on 23 January the sun rose at 9:40 am and set at 3 pm. The length of day is almost 5 ½ hours.

This week I first noticed that I no longer arrived at work in complete darkness. The days are getting longer. The weather was fairly mild but overcast. It snowed/rained/hailed a little then mostly melted away. We got quite a bit of rain so some of the roads are not so icy.

Today the sun rose at 9:15 am and set at 3:30. The length of day is 6 hours, 15 minutes.

Monday the 31st of January. I finally got an explanation of what my status is here, vis-à-vis the church. Since I was in an interim position I can't automatically become a permanent employee. I can apply for the position, or not. They will extend my interim position for 6 months from 9 April, when my current position ends, to 9 October. If I apply for it, there's a pretty good chance I will get it, but it's not guaranteed. If I don't apply for it, I'll have to go back in October. If I get the job it will be permanent – something I'm not sure I want. If I were younger there would be no question of me staying here. I'm not sure what I'll do. There are so many things to consider. I'll use the next month to think it over.

My colleague Venera will continue her sick leave for the month of February. More work for me. I had planned to take my driving test on Thursday, but I had to cancel it because there is a funeral I have to play for.

No comments:

Post a Comment