Monday, February 28, 2011

Zippers and cod tongues

My trip back to Boston and Wisconsin went well. I didn't see all the people I wanted to see but I packed in a lot in those 7 days. The snow in Cambridge was incredible: snow piles 2 meters high. Some streets were so narrow that a fire truck could barely get through. On Monday the 14th the temperatures reached about 50 F (10 C). At least the ice melted. I was lucky with the weather – no travel delays. I found it a little easier to get over jetlag coming east. I must have slept on the plane. (I couldn't sleep going to Boston and had problems getting used to the time change). My cousin Turid picked me up at the Oslo airport on Thursday morning. On Saturday morning I flew back to Sandnessjøen. We landed in a snow storm. While I was away it had been cold and clear. Sunday morning I woke about 6:30 to dawn. Finally there is light in the morning.

My new Norwegian drivers license arrived in the mail. It is valid until 2055 (just 44 years from now). While I was in Cambridge/Boston I waited in line to get a duplicate license from Massachusetts. (I had to give up my original Mass. license in order to get a Norwegian license). Now I'm completely covered. I may be dead in 2055, but at least I'll still be driving!

On the 20th of February the sun rose at 8 am and set at 4:50 pm. Total daylight is approaching 9 hours. It's beginning to feel like a normal winter.

The 8th week of the year: Back to the normal working routine. At the last minute they had to change Sunday's church service from 11 am to 5 pm. Apparently there was only one sexton available and he had to be at the service at Alstahaug Church. Too bad they hadn't trained a volunteer for this.

I brought back a fleece jacket for my friend Magnar. We had a discussion about zippers. In the U.S. zippers on the left side are for women's clothes; men's are on the right side. Here in Norway (and Europe) it's just the opposite.

One of the "delicacies" in northern Norway are cod tongues. They are available now. I tried it this past week (twice). They can be poached or fried. I think they are better fried in bacon grease or butter. Since I've been here I've eaten whale, moose and cod tongues. But I draw the line for lutefisk!

I spoke with Trond, the owner of the house where I live. He and his wife are separating. They don't know if it's temporary or for a longer period. In any case it's rather sad. I feel sorry for their 5 year old.

On Monday, the 28th of February the sun rose at 7:30 am and set at 5:15 pm. Length of day is 9 hours, 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment